We believe the next step in revitalization efforts needs to be directed towards the business district. EDCOM is instituting a grant program to improve building façades and the overall look of Market Street. Attractive, welcoming, and interesting store fronts will indicate a vibrant town and draw people into to shops and stores – and will also perk the interest of potential tenants.
We are intending to make New Wilmington not just a lovely home for its residents, but a destination for travelers to stay, shop, eat, and experience all that makes New Wilmington the special community it is.
- EDCOM’s Investment:
- Ordered new benches and planters to be installed Fall 2022 along Market Street
- Worked with a local architect to develop a cohesive theme for façade renovation for buildings along Market Street
- Developed the process to provide grants to building owners to jumpstart the Façade Improvement Initiative
- Met with building owners who have shown substantial interest in façade upgrades
- Currently fundraising for the façade grant project
- Others are Investing in New Wilmington:
- Westminster College invested more than $45 million in the last 5 years in campus and program upgrades
- Le Chic Boutique and Mona’s Chocolates who make and sell handmade soaps and chocolates opened in the 2021
- Papa Gelateria opened in Spring 2021
- New Wilmington Nutrition offering nutritional drinks opened in the Summer of 2022
- Pulse a new coffee shop opened in the Fractured Grape/Hop Asylum complex in Summer 2022
- The Inn on Market opened in July 2022 joining other bed and breakfasts in the area to offer accommodations to travelers and visitors to New Wilmington
- 101 West Vine, a gift shop and boutique, opened in Fall 2022
- Small Circles, a community-based bookstore, with a focus on affordable used books for everyone opened in Fall 2022
- The Tavern sold in July 2022, is undergoing significant renovation, and planning to reopen in Spring 2023
- Another new restaurant is expected to open on Market Street in the first six months of 2023
There is a new energy in town. Entrepreneurs and community investors see the potential here and we do too. New Wilmington’s future is bright – let’s make it beautiful too.